The Institute of Advanced Research Computing (iARC) has been one of the Research Institutes of Durham University in the UK. The Durham Research Institutes bring together researchers to work collaboratively, across departments and with external partners, to develop new ways of thinking that contribute positively to societal challenges. Research Institutes are equivalent to Departments and cut across Colleges and Faculties. iARC was established in 2012 and has now been restructured into two units: The Institute for Data Science and the Advanced Research Computing unit.
Inaugural Executive Director
Mission of iARC
- How can advanced computational techniques and infrastructures be harnessed to enhance and scale up current research methods, transcend siloed perspectives and traditional disciplinary boundaries, and transform the way key research questions are approached enabling the hitherto impossible?
- Conversely, what are the design, functional, management and usability requirements for a new generation of machines and computational paradigms, techniques, approaches and methodologies necessary to address society’s most vexing challenges?
The Institute of Advanced Research Computing (iARC) has provided an intellectual home for researchers across disciplines to connect and address these exciting challenges. Through its commitment to research excellence, iARC’s goal has been to leverage on synergies and act as a catalyst setting up and coordinating powerful research collaborations contributing to the growth of the economy and society. These have generated technology and projects with impact through national and global industrial partnerships, knowledge transfer opportunities, strategic regional, national and international initiatives and spin-outs. The aims of iARC have been to:
- Pool together critical mass of researchers from different disciplines to form connected research communities around common problems or technologies
- Foster cross disciplinary collaboration and promote cutting edge transformative multi-disciplinary research projects
- Undertake long-term relationship building with external partners in academia, government and industry to accelerate innovation and impact
Research Themes and Clusters
iARC set up and developed the following major technological and cross cutting research areas and projects:
Regional initiatives and partnerships
iARC has been a leading partner in major regional initiatives including:
The work of iARC has been underpinned by world class computational platforms and strategic partnerships with supercomputing centres and vendors :